State of Medical Care in Mae Sariang in 1984
![]() |
| Kim Brown working with a patient at the Mae Sariang Christian Hospital-1986 |
![]() |
| Taking a break on the trail after a rain with the Mobile Clinic team from theMae Sariang Christian Hospital in 1989 |
and valleys that surrounded the town would compare to West Virginia’s and Virginia’s Appalachian areas but maybe from several generations ago. Many of the villages we visited had no roads reaching them at all. Pre-trip planning always involved discussion of how far our 4wheel drive truck could go. Do we need tire chains? Is it too risky? Should we go at all? Should we take a motorcycle instead of the truck? Are there long tail boats that can take us part of the way? If we’re walking, how many hours? If we’re bringing agricultural or medical supplies, do we need to recruit villagers to help carry the load? Should we hire elephants to carry things?
Staff at the Christian hospital sometimes told us of
patients being brought to the hospital. At times, the trip might have taken 2-3
days with the patient being carried by family members up and down rough mountain
trails before finally coming to the road where they might find a ride. By the
time the patient actually reached the hospital, their problem was too far advanced.
The hospital staff could only stand by and watch the patient die.
![]() |
| Kay Dee from the Mae Sariang Christian Hospital Mobile Clinic team weighing children in Oh Loh Tha Village-1985 |
Phue Rue Khee is a village in the Om Koi area of Chiang Mai
Province. There was a dry season road that reached the village though it was
several hours of a very rough ride after the pavement ended. On one visit, on
the last night we were there, I got word that someone wanted a ride to the
small hospital in Om Koi. We almost always would pick up and drop off riders
wherever we went so I was glad to agree. The next morning as we said good-bye, a
young mom came with her baby. She was the one looking for the ride to the
doctor. One look at the nearly lifeless baby was enough to see this child was
not going to live long. He hardly moved at all. I’d had no idea the request for
the ride was urgent, but we began to hustle up and get on the road. I was
praying the whole way, the child would make the trip and Praise God, he did.
Mother and child eventually were both fine. On a later visit to Phue Rue Khee,
she thanked me by giving me a shoulder bag and made sure I saw the now healthy
baby was alive and well. Had I not happened to be there on that particular day,
I’m sure that baby would not have lasted
any longer.
![]() |
| Mother from Phue Rue Khee Village with her now healthy baby in 1989 |
Thra Bae Lay was the evangelist based in the village of Mae
Khu Tha along the Mae Ngow River south of Mae Sariang. When visiting, I would
usually stay at his house and he was usually our main host. He had a nice young
family and an exceptionally cute 5 year old daughter. I was early in my Karen
language study so couldn’t converse all that well with the family but I always
enjoyed visiting there and enjoyed the contented family atmosphere. One day
though, I got word that Thra Bae Lay’s exceptionally cute 5 year old daughter
had died of a sudden case of diarrhea. This disturbed me greatly. It was around
1985-86. Modern medicine had advanced to the point people in the US hardly ever
die from diarrhea. Why did she have to die?
Another aspect of the lack of medical care was opium
addiction. I don’t have any official numbers but I was told that one reason
people became addicted to opium was that a person would be in severe pain from
an injury or illness. Even today morphine, an opium derivative, is know as one
of the most effective (though very addictive) pain relievers. Opium, often
grown in Thailand, was readily available and likewise known as the best pain reliever.
Desperate for pain relief, a person might start using opium only to be addicted
before the injury or illness healed.
![]() |
| Thra Bae Lay at home in Mae Khu Tha Village. His daughter seen standing here died of diarrhea soon after this photo - 1985 |
Since the 1980s, Thailand has been building roads in remote
areas of the country and gradually expanding medical facilities. A kind of
national medical insurance has also been instituted making medical care more
affordable as well. So the situation has improved, but still, getting access to
health care is not always easy or practical in the more remote areas of Thailand.







Comments
Post a Comment