Dynamite!
* Thra is a Karen term meaning “teacher”. Evangelists, and agricultural workers, teachers, pastors and missionaries were usually called “Thra”.
![]() |
| Thra Shway Lah Yay (white T-shirt) teaching some kids in Oh Loh Tha Village: 1985-09 |
![]() |
| Digging the irrigation ditch in Oh Loh Tha. All work was done by hand. 1985 - 09 |
he was working closely with Thra Waw Hae, the agricultural worker, at the village of Oh Loh Tha. Our Irrigation Project was helping the village of Oh Loh Tha dig a sizeable irrigation ditch and they had run into some particularly stubborn rock. Checking on this irrigation ditch was the reason that I and several others came along on the trip with Kinuko where the boat broke down, as mentioned in the previous post.
I was told the traditional method of digging through rock
was to make a fire on top of the rock and get the surface good and hot. Then cold
water was poured on top of the hot rock to make the rock crack. Once cracked,
heavy steel spud bars and sledge hammers could bust some of the rock away. It
worked, but it was slow. Dynamite could do the job quicker.
![]() |
| Dealing with some smaller rocks on the irrigation ditch in Oh Loh Tha. 1985-09 |
I’m not sure at what point I became aware that dynamite was
highly regulated and while maybe legal for the mine to have it, not legal for
me or the Irrigation Project to have it. Even after learning it wasn’t legal, at
first I figured with no less than Thra Thu Nu and Thra Shway Lah Yay behind it,
dynamite was just one of those gray areas we’d learned about in our stateside
missionary training. No worries.
![]() |
| Thra Nae Gay preparing dynamite to blast rock on a later project in March of 1991 |
was afraid to keep it at his house. So, he drove right past his own house, brought it to me and told me I had to keep it. He was a nervous wreck and literally had the shakes. I hadn’t been concerned about the dynamite up until this point but seeing how afraid he was made me afraid. I only had to keep it for a day or two, then I was to deliver it back to him and he was going to take it to the village where it could be used. I’m not sure if I was afraid of the police, afraid it would blow up in the house or both. But I was definitely nervous and afraid and didn’t sleep very well.
| Small irrigated terraces. Not one of our projects but an example of what we hoped to develop. |
Finally on a brutally hot day with the dynamite and caps not so safely tucked away in the overly hot cab of the pickup truck I drove to Thra Shway Lah Yay’s house wondering if it was hot enough to trigger the blasting caps and send me and the truck into the next life. I finally delivered the contraband returned home and breathed a huge sigh of relief.
During our second term, the project used dynamite once again but I personally had nothing to do with the purchase. The dynamite I was involved with did get used on the irrigation ditch, the ditch was completed and it was very helpful to the people of Oh Loh Tha. I was glad for that but I decided that buying dynamite had been a rookie mistake not to be repeated. It was a little too gray of an area for me and I definitely didn’t want to be involved in buying more.






Comments
Post a Comment