Thra Thu Nu
| Thra Thu Nu (right) in 2016 on our last trip to Mae Sariang and our last time to see him. |
Thu Nu was genuine Karen through and through. Though I heard
variations of his early life I understand he was raised in a non-Christian home
with family connections closely linked to the village shaman. So, he had intricate
knowledge of Karen spirit beliefs as well as all aspects of Karen culture, life
and language. I don’t recall hearing his conversion story but once he became a
Christian, he became a dynamic evangelist with exceptional ability to relate to
all Karen, Christian and animist.
![]() |
| Thra Thu Nu (right in white shirt) performing a Baptism in the Mae Ngow River, Mae Khu Tha Village in December of 1988 |
The life of a Karen pastor and especially one who is
ordained, is a life of travel. In the US, each church
pastor preaches, teaches
and ministers almost exclusively at their own church. However, among the Karen,
each main church had branches and evangelistic outposts that the pastor also
needed to visit. In addition, someone like Thu Nu also was heavily involved
with association and national level evangelism programs and would visit
villages outside his regular territory. Further, since he was so well known and
had so many years’ experience, he was also asked to serve various roles within
the Thailand Karen Baptist Convention which could lead to travel all over
northern Thailand.
| Thra Thu Nu (left in blue shirt) in 2009 getting ready to lead a service |
Whether an informal gathering or a formal service, when he
was speaking people hung on his every word. Within any sermon, lecture or
conversation he would have people concentrating and thinking deeply, then
switch to a story that would generate belly laughs, then back again to dispensing wisdom
and substance at will. Though my Karen language was limited, I knew enough to
know he had the gift of being interesting, funny, informative, educational and
inspirational all at the same time. Even in Karen when I struggled to
understand, it could easily be seen that Thu Nu had a “way with words.”
![]() |
| Thra Thu Nu (standing, right) with evangelists Thra Tu (seated) and Bladway (standing at left) leading a program at the Pwo Karen Hostel in Mae Sariang - 1986 |
increasing difficulty staying awake. However, unlike anyone else I’ve ever seen, he also had an uncanny ability to wake up and be totally “on point” at just the right time. It was interesting to watch those leading a meeting rise to the podium to introduce an obviously snoozing Thu Nu. Casting worried looks in Thu Nu’s direction they would say what they needed to say all while wondering, “Should I shake him awake or not?” Finally, at the Karen equivalent of, “With no further ado, I give you Thra Thu Nu” he would pop up, fully awake and deliver a flawless sermon. It was uncanny. I don’t ever recall seeing anyone shake him awake.
Thu Nu has gone to be with his Lord and Savior where I
imagine he is still at home, relaxed, being himself and still sharing stories, experiences
and lessons to an audience hanging on his every word. I regret never having been able to get his
story in depth and write it down. But, I suppose the world is full of great
Christian leaders whose stories, at least on the world stage, go largely
unknown except to God. Even with the language barrier, we learned a lot
from Thu Nu, enjoyed his company, admired his ability to relate to his people
and feel the loss of knowing he is no longer with us. But, thank you Lord, for
the time we could spend with him.




Comments
Post a Comment